Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Early Radio-Phonograph Console - 1960's

This came from a facebook challenge to comment on a piece of electronic furniture. I think I may do this more often - include comments I have made elsewhere, because I don't think up such topics until somebody asks me.

That reminds me, in a sociology class at University of California, Riverside well over 50 years ago, the professor stated that you don't have an opinion until somebody asks you. I suppose you could ask youself, but I've found this statement to be generally true. So when I answer a facebook challenge, I'll try to remember to add it to my blogspot.



My mom did.
SHARE if you ever owned one of these beauties... Did you?
UnlikeUnlike ·  · 
  • You, Joyce Stearns and 4 others like this.
  • Sheila E. Isaacs Yep, great sound; mine has 8-track tape and is still used in the garage!!!
  • Heidi K Davis both my Mom and Grandparents did.
    23 hrs · Like
  • Heidi K Davis Wish I did now so I had a place for my records; Getting my record player back up and running in my sewing room that we are now finally getting around to doing. My player has 2 tape players in it so I can copy tapes or from record to tape.
    23 hrs · Like
  • Beth Cordell My parents did too.
    20 hrs · Like
  • John Fawcett I've seen lots of them and envied the owners, but we never owned one. The amazing thing was that this one played stereo records! That added a new dimension, like going from black and white to color TV. Or, going from a family radio in the living room to a transistor radio you could carry around and listen to the music you wanted instead of your parents-censored music at home. I think that alone allowed Elvis to prosper in those early years.

    The Sony Walkman played the new cassette media, and later the CD Walkman. Steve Jobs' place in history was sealed by the invention of the iPod and iTunes followed like a dog to his vomit. Now you get it all on an iPhone.

    I was born in 1940 and grew up with 78rpm records and the New 45rpm disks with a big hole in the middle. Next came the LP's (long playing records) which originally had only classical music, the kind you heard on FM radio. That is the era of the phonograph pictured.
  • John Fawcett

A snotty obnoxious teen recently sat on a park bench next to an old guy and bragged that his generation had ipads, supersonic airplanes, eyeglasses that can record everything that you look at, and medicines that can cure almost every kind of infectious disease. He said, "Old Man, what did your old generation ever do?"

"Well," he answered, "besides a lot of other stuff, we invented ipads, supersonic airplanes, eyeglasses that can record everything that you look at, and medicines that can cure almost every kind of infectious disease."

The arrogant teen answered in a dejected tone, "Oh."

No comments:

Post a Comment