Saturday, June 23, 2012

Free Root Beer and Pop Corn

The best things in life are free. So they say. My girls had an evening at our house once with their friend, Isolde. The girls were probably 12 and 13. Their friend was probably older because her name IS OLD. I liked my childrens' friends and would often insert myself into their entertainment. They wanted to go to the movies at the theater in downtown Snohomish, and I was glad to take them. It was a movie "theatre," I guess to show it was not an ordinary theater. Pat and I rarely went to movies, so this was a special occasion.

I don't remember what we saw or what we paid, but I generally did not buy refreshments. That's where theater owners make their money, and the owner was in our Ward, but I had to watch my expenses or I might someday be poor. As it happened, today I am poor because of some foolish real estate decisions just as the real estate market had crashed 5 years ago. Word to the wise: Don't invest your secure money on something that is not a sure thing (Even the sure things aren't always sure). I not only invested money that was in short supply, but I pledged most of my rental properties which were supposed to provide for my old age. Now they are gone (sold with all proceeds going to creditors, or forecosed upon) with nothing to show for our years of struggle and work on these houses.

At any rate, we walked past the refreshment stand and took our seats in the rear of the first floor. I remember how delighted I was to find a tub of buttered popcorn and an almost full large (big gulp size) root beer. My girls weren't excited about it, but Isolde looked intrigued. We held them for a while wondering whether we might die from other people's germs. Of course we gave in, or else this would not become a blogged story. Bridget and Kristal were disgusted, but Isolde and I were thrilled with our good fortune. Bridget is facebook friends with Isolde (I hope I'm spelling her name right) and will send her the link to this blog. I am wondering what her recollections are of her evening with the crazy Fawcetts.

No comments:

Post a Comment